Are you a professional firefighter, with experience in an industrial context or a metropolitan fire service? Does a new challenge in a unique environment attract you? Then join a dynamic, highly trained and highly responsive team of firefighters at CERN, the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world! Take part!
Programme - Staff
Staff Category - Others
Number of posts - 6
Closing Date - 07/10/2012
Job Reference - GS-FB-2012-146-LD
Firefighter in the Fire Brigade (FB), General Services & Infrastructure Department (GS)
The Fire Brigade is part of the General Infrastructure Services Department (GS) . Firefighters are on call 24/7, responsible for maintaining readiness for emergency call response; responding to fire, medical, rescue and related emergency calls when dispatched and taking proper action; educating CERN staff and users on fire safety, use and maintenance of fire extinguishers, evacuation drills and first aid; and performing other tasks related to CERN activities.
CERN's Fire Brigade also collaborates with the Organization's Host States' Fire Departments: SDIS 01 (France) and SIS of Geneva (Switzerland), and comprises a pool of professional, experienced firefighters from various CERN Member States, as a forum of knowledge and operational techniques and exchange of experiences throughout Europe.
As a firefighter you will join an international team, receive on-going training related to CERN-specific risks, and you will:
- Respond to emergency calls, perform firefighting, ambulance and rescue activities.
- Take part in the roster for the Fire Brigade Safety Control Room where you will receive incoming calls, and dispatch and deploy to intervention accordingly.
- Carry out interventions involving risks specific to CERN installations, e.g. ionized radiation, cryogenics, electricity, magnetic fields, flooding, lack of oxygen, flammable gases, confined spaces.
- Provide first line response in emergency medical ambulance service and actions involving hazardous materials.
- Give on-duty training sessions and off-site training courses as required.
- Maintain the equipment in good repair in accordance with organizational policies and procedures.
- Perform other safety-related duties according to the Organization's requirements.
- Professional firefighter diploma from a Public Government Administration, including a valid basic life support certification.
- Possession of a EU valid driving licence (C permit).
- A technical certificate in a relevant field, or equivalent would be an asset.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is at least five years' practical experience as a professional firefighter in an industrial context or a metropolitan fire service.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Firefighting tactics and operations, basic life support in an ambulance in a pre-hospital context.
- Hazardous material response operations.
- Technical high angle rescue operations.
- Knowledge, use and maintenance of individual protection equipment.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Demonstrating flexibility: willing and able to adjust to changing demands and circumstances; demonstrating an openness to new ideas and situations; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; ability to demonstrate flexibility whilst abiding by all applicable rules.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Building relationships: open and sensitive to the opinions, concerns and needs of others.
The language competencies required for this post are:
- Spoken and written English or French (intermediate level required in one of the two languages, to write full incident reports). The ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations would be an asset.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation. This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 7th October 2012. By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the Recruitment Service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
- We offer a limited duration contract of five years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may be granted an indefinite contract.
- The appointment will be subject to the selected candidate obtaining secondment conditions from his/her existing employer for this contractual period.
- These functions require work outside normal CERN working hours, including nights, weekends and public holidays, and entail shift work and the participation in a regular stand-by service.
- The wearing of uniform is compulsory also appropriate protective clothing and equipment, including self-contained breathing apparatus.